Author Topic: Laminating  (Read 3038 times)

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
Laminating
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:59:47 »
After reading that "interesting" thread about geocheckpointing, and also after having noticed some laminated notes in caches I have found, I'd like to know how one goes about laminating a piece of paper to make it waterproof.  Are there laminating "kits" available, and if so, where can they be bought?

The red-haired witch

Re: Laminating
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:05:42 »
You can buy the necessary equipment at places like Staples.  If you get the actual "hot lamination" machine, it gets you solid but rather rigid results.  Or you can just buy clear adhesive plastic and put it on both sides of the paper, making sure the plastic is bigger than the paper for a sealed edge all around.  Not perfect, but will last a while.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:16 »
Another weather-proof option is to use something called "Shrinky-Dinks" (No it has nothing to do with swimming in cold water :o )

It can be fun especially if you have kids. It is a plastic film that you write on and them bake, and it shrinks down and intensifies the colours and makes them quite permanent. I did find that using them for waypoint tags was not effective in the long term as the ink did fade. However for water-proof tags for TB's or cache info, they work pretty well. Apparently you can get sheets that can be printed with an ink-jet printer. Beside watching them curl and shrink in the oven is really fun no matter how old you are.

Here is an example of a TB tag we created.

cavecats

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 13:08:50 »
Another weather-proof option is to use something called "Shrinky-Dinks" (No it has nothing to do with swimming in cold water :o )

Where can you buy Shrinky-dinks?

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 13:29:52 »

Where can you buy Shrinky-dinks?

Michael's usually carries them. I suspect Staples might as well, but I'm sure that Michael's does.

missbug

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:00:07 »
those are still around?! WOAH! i had rainbow brite ones back in the late 80s!!!

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 13:13:14 »
My wife bought me a Scotch Thermal Laminator at Wal-Mart for my birthday, so I can laminate stash notes and TB notes.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 18:26:05 »
Please quote us a price, sheet size, etc and we can set up a workshop date...!
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 21:10:39 »
I have one too.  The tricky part I find with lamination machines, is judging the temperature to set them to.  Mine has varying degrees of temp based on Mylar thickness and content.   It's pretty easy to know where to set it for 8.5 x 11 regular paper after a few tries, but when it comes to laminating something of an odd thickness, or something that can't easily be reprinted, you don't want to misjudge the temp.  I always UNDER estimate, and worst case, cut it out of the plastic and run it again slightly higher.  Better to waste a Mylar sheet than to burn your wedding certificate. :-)