Author Topic: Rechargeable Batteries - Sanyo's Enloop NiMH AA batteries  (Read 20759 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Rechargeable Batteries - Sanyo's Enloop NiMH AA batteries
« on: August 20, 2010, 14:23:25 »
One of the 'old forum' threads dealt with rechargeable batteries, since we all tend to go through them at quite a clip.

I for one had always been disappointed with rechargeables. They didn't hold a charge for very long so it was impossible to store them any length of time, and they didn't last very many charge/discharge cycles before they were toast.

Then I learned of Enloops! Read http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html if you want a detailed technical review or read the layman's version at http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_5065.html.

The batteries you want can be distinguished in several ways:

1. They are Sanyo's Enloop brand, but Sanyo also re-packages their battery for resellers, so:
2. They're sold as 'Pre-Charged' rechargeable batteries. They're ready to use right off the self! And:
3. They're 'made in Japan', not in China. That's an important distinction apparently, as the Chinese version is reportedly a poor copy.
The Japanese Sanyo or re-branded batteries will have a white ring around the positive pole.

Goodhunting!

Blue-
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 14:37:51 by bluelamb03 »
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

Re: Rechargeable Batteries - Sanyo's Enloop NiMH AA batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 14:30:16 »
Apple is actually now selling Eneloops packaged with an Apple-designed charger. 6 batteries and their charger for $29.  Granted, not the best deal in town -- Costco often will have combo packs too, if you can find 'em!

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 16:49:07 »
Of all the newer low self-discharge rechargeable batteries I have in my arsenal, the best I have encountered are the PowerEx IMEDION batteries.  I first encountered these while researching the purchase of a decent battery charger, when NikonGuy posted on the old forums about the Maha MH-C800S Smart Charger.  

Well, I bought the charger (and am very happy with its performance), and bought some batteries while I was at it.  If you're a real battery hog and are not so concerned about the low-discharge aspect but instead the max output power of the battery (for big cameras let's say), then you'll want their PowerEx Ultra batteries that deliver a whopping 2700mAh.  

Are they not the sexiest batteries you've ever seen?  ;D

Other batteries in my "collection" that I have success with are the Eneloop from Sanyo (they sell these at Costco BTW) and the Infinium from Panasonic (also known as R2 or Gen2 batteries).

For a time (and perhaps still) there were re-branded Eneloop batteries being sold by Shoppers Drug Mart under their Life brand label.  If you find these, be mindful of Lib's point #3 above.  "White top = Japan = Good", "Black top = China = Bad).

lRead up on the technology at WikiPedia
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 16:51:14 by kirok »

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 17:46:05 »
The re-branded Enloops at Shoppers Drug Mart were packaged as Duracell Rechargeable. I cleaned out the shoppers on Bank Street at Heron a while back when they were on sale.

Be sure to check for the WHITE ring around the positive pole.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

G_Fours

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 18:08:32 »
The re-branded Enloops at Shoppers Drug Mart were packaged as Duracell Rechargeable. I cleaned out the shoppers on Bank Street at Heron a while back when they were on sale.

Be sure to check for the WHITE ring around the positive pole.

They go on sale every 2 to 3 months $8.00 for 4 AA or 4 AAA.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 20:53:58 »
Are they not the sexiest batteries you've ever seen?  ;D

My son, you do not get out enough! ;)

dcmg

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:55:15 »

They go on sale every 2 to 3 months $8.00 for 4 AA or 4 AAA.

Too funny. The Shopper's ad on the back of the City section of the Citizen today lists them as on sale for $7.99 for 4 pre-charged AAs. I have not confirmed in person.

--dcmg

EDIT: Sunday and Monday only
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 09:03:32 by dcmg »

G_Fours

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:39:13 »
Whoot! Better get there before Model12.

G_Fours

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:29:22 »
I just got back from shoppers, sale is on!

dcmg

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 15:33:20 »
I got the last 2 packs of AA from Bank and Walkley. There were still AAAs though.

--dcmg

dcmg

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 07:12:17 »
The Duracell eneloops (Duraloops :-) are on sale again at Shoppers Sunday and Monday for $6.99 this time according to today's flyer in the Citizen.

--dcmg

dcmg

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 09:04:45 »
The Duracell eneloops (Duraloops :-) are on sale again at Shoppers Sunday and Monday for $6.99
--dcmg

A note about what I saw at the Bank and Hunt Club store ... The batteries were priced on the rack at $8.99 on sale until Oct 8th but rang through yesterday at $6.99 as expected. So if you miss getting them by today the appear to be still on sale for the rest of the week.

graciious

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 10:28:12 »
What kind of charger do you need for Duracell batteries?  I have previously purchased Energizer batteries which are garbage (IMHO) but I would like to know if I can charge the Duracell in the Energizer charger.  If I can then I wouldn't need to spend the extra money on a Durcell branded charger. 

I will go and look for the white tops tonight. sale or not, I need them.  My 62 seems to be eating regular batteries.

missbug

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 10:59:35 »
yes, my energizer charger charges my duracell white-tops.

dcmg

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 11:00:27 »
I use an Energizer charger ... as long as the one you plan on using is for NiMH batteries, it shouldn't be a problem.

Go to PriceClub, they usually have the best non-sale price. You might even find one that has a charger as part of the package.

--DCMG