Author Topic: Rechargeable Batteries - Sanyo's Enloop NiMH AA batteries  (Read 20692 times)

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Rechargeable Batteries - Sanyo's Enloop NiMH AA batteries
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2011, 18:49:03 »
White topped Made in Japan? 
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2011, 18:52:39 »
Correct.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2011, 10:28:22 »
Shopper's at Rideau Centre still has some 4 x AA per pack for $7.99.  I've been using them with my 450 and have been very satisfied.  Given all the other pieces of kit in the hands of family members requiring AAs, I just picked up three packages.   
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

HoundGPS

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2011, 14:54:55 »
I just picked up a 4x pack of the genuine Pre-Charged Sanyo Eneloop 2500mAh High-Capacity Low Self Discharge batteries at canadacomputers which are on sale today for 19.99$.

http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_746&item_id=036102

I really didn't want to start looking around for the real-maybe-not-so-real re-branded things and always have doubts whether they are genuine or not. Figured I can save myself the hassle and the headache and just get the real thing right away, even if it means paying a little more.

HoundGPS

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2011, 07:19:40 »

snoozejade

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2011, 09:24:20 »
I ordered mine from http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Sanyo-Eneloop_c_1020.html.  They have really good prices all the time if you don't mind paying for shipping.  I finally decided to throw out all of our crappy energizers and I ordered 2X 16 aa packs and a MAHA C-9000 charger.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2011, 09:25:42 »
OK, so do I want 8 of the XX high power ones or 16 of the regular Eneloops? Decisions, decisions...

snoozejade

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2011, 10:08:28 »
OK, so do I want 8 of the XX high power ones or 16 of the regular Eneloops? Decisions, decisions...

I went with the regular Eneloops.  I read a lot of reviews from people using them in the oregon 450t without any issues.  I know they are 2000 mAh but they can handle up to 1000 charges compared the the 2500 mAh which can only handle up tp 500 charges.

The price difference between the 2 is huge so it was an easy decision for me.  At thomas distributing, the regular ones are $2.40/ea and the 2500 mAh are $5.24/ea.

HoundGPS

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2011, 10:33:43 »
I went with the regular Eneloops.  I read a lot of reviews from people using them in the oregon 450t without any issues.  I know they are 2000 mAh but they can handle up to 1000 charges compared the the 2500 mAh which can only handle up tp 500 charges.

The price difference between the 2 is huge so it was an easy decision for me.  At thomas distributing, the regular ones are $2.40/ea and the 2500 mAh are $5.24/ea.

Even though the XX ones only handles up to 500 charges, you still have to factor in the discharge time. Since they have higher capacity, they will last longer than the normal ones therefore requiring less frequent charges. All in all, you would have to compare total run time (discharge time * number of charges) to fully compare them. Of course, this still probably does not translate to the total run time of the regulars, but should be fairly close IMO. Also, less charge sessions for me, the better it is... having 3 sessions of geocaching with the same set rather than 2 is a plus. It all depends on what you really want and how you intend to use it.

But yeah, in terms of price, the regulars are the best bang for the buck for sure!

missbug

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:05 »
I finally decided to throw out all of our crappy energizers

did you dispose of them properly, with environmental regard? my public library has a battery recycling tube, and so does my work (fed. gov't). never throw batteries in household garbage!

graciious

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2011, 10:57:27 »
I use the XX batteries and have no issues.  I find I can use them for a couple of days without worry, so long as I remember to turn off the GPS when I am done.  I have noticed that the maha still registers 2 of 3 bars of charge left on them even though my GPS says they are low, or shuts off due to low battery power.

I only bought them cause I like the look of them better than the white ones.  I have also "reconditioned" 6 batteries found in my local recycling box that work just as well.

HoundGPS

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2011, 11:51:07 »
I have noticed that the maha still registers 2 of 3 bars of charge left on them even though my GPS says they are low, or shuts off due to low battery power.

Since determining charge level of NiMH batteries is not easily done, the monitoring chips have to use a combination of methods in order to "Learn" about the battery being charged/discharged. Most chips will first "learn" the total capacity of a battery by going through a full discharge cycle (completely full to completely empty). Your GPS receiver probably has a better reading that your charger since it always gets fully charged batteries, whereas your charger probably has not compensated for the new capacity of the batteries (used to 2000mAh capacity while they are actually 2400mAh) and that mangles the readings.

Since you have a MAHA, maybe go through a full charge to full discharge cycle and see if the readings gets better?

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2011, 12:11:21 »
I have also "reconditioned" 6 batteries found in my local recycling box that work just as well.

Do tell...

GreyingJay

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2011, 13:17:37 »
I finally decided to throw out all of our crappy energizers

did you dispose of them properly, with environmental regard? my public library has a battery recycling tube, and so does my work (fed. gov't). never throw batteries in household garbage!

My local Canadian Tire has a battery disposal box too, as does (I believe) Home Depot.  IKEA, too.

graciious

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2011, 22:02:29 »
If you take a peek into those recycle bins of batteries you will often find that people throw away rechargeable batteries not knowing that they are rechargeable, or possibly thinking they aren't holding a charge any longer.  I found four Duracell (white tops) a single eneloop and generic rechargeable in my office battery drop box, brought them home and used the maha "reconditioning" feature which drains and charges completely (correct me if I am wrong here).

It so far has given the batteries a new lease on life.  They held up for 3 days of driving around the islands in the Caribbean.