Author Topic: Rechargeable Batteries - Sanyo's Enloop NiMH AA batteries  (Read 22477 times)

geocash4fun

Re: Rechargeable Batteries - Sanyo's Enloop NiMH AA batteries
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2012, 22:19:50 »
my batteris I am currently using a lot are working quite well. I use durecell and energizer

GreyingJay

« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2012, 09:23:33 »
my batteris I am currently using a lot are working quite well. I use durecell and energizer

These guys are talking about high-powered nickel-metal hydride rechargeable batteries. When you cache as much as they do, disposable AA's start to become expensive (and bad for the environment). Although I believe Duracell and Energizer do make "white top" series that are the same formulation as the Eneloops.

For the past 2 years I've gotten along extremely well using my iPhone 98% of the time (I only pulled out my GPSMAP 60csx for the GAG event). The iPhone is best for casual caching (which is mostly what I do), again when you're regularly finding 10+ caches a day, its battery starts to drain pretty quick too.

When I'm not using my iPhone, I use Eneloops for rechargeable AA's and IKEA (!) for disposable alkalines.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2012, 11:32:36 »
I use AA & AAA Duracell white top rechargeable batteries (aka Duraloop) that Shoppers Drug Mart used to have great sales on, and Energizer Lithium AA & AAA cells for the cold weather.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2012, 08:22:19 »
Maybe we should discuss this along with flashlights at one of the work shops.  Rechargable batteries are a 'must have' if you are doing any sort of regular caching.

GreyingJay

« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2012, 08:39:41 »
Maybe we should discuss this along with flashlights at one of the work shops.  Rechargable batteries are a 'must have' if you are doing any sort of regular caching.

Perhaps as part of an "equipment" discussion. I wouldn't mind a "try before you buy" of some of the nicer flashlights out there!

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2013, 20:50:03 »
Just a note to let you know that Costco has Eneloop batteries on sale until June 30th.
http://www.costco.ca/hardware-batteries.html

Sanyo Eneloop 1500 Overnight Charger Kit 10 x AA and 4 x AAA - $39.99
Sanyo Eneloop 1500 Battery Pack 12 x AAA Batteries - $25.99
Sanyo Eneloop 1500 Battery Pack 16 x AA Batteries - $39.99

I have only seen the Duracell Black tops in the Kanata warehouse. 

Does anyone know if Gloucester or Nepean has the Eneloops?, Otherwise I'll be ordering them online.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2013, 22:36:09 »
I'll try to remember to check the Nepean warehouse next time I'm there, which should be sometime this week I suspect.

fradjoh

« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2013, 07:43:33 »
Does anyone know if Gloucester or Nepean has the Eneloops?, Otherwise I'll be ordering them online.

I've never seen them in store at any Costco: Merivale, Innes road, Kanata or Gatineau.

F0restGrump

« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2013, 07:54:40 »
I use both the white top and green topped Duracells, and the green topped certainly does power my GPSr longer. The greens are not good for things like remote controls that sit around for a long time (they discharge over time), but are good when you simply need more mAHours for a shorter time period.

I used Sanyo batteries in my remote control car days....they are fantastic batteries. I just might have to pick some up from Costco! Thanks for the pointer.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2013, 08:44:54 »
The black topped Duracell rechargeable batteries are good general purpose LSD batteries (they come from the same plant as the Rayovac Hybrid batteries) but they are not as strong as the white tops or the true Eneloops.

I bought most of my Eneloops at Costco several years ago and they are still going strong.

While not a good bargain price-wise, Canada Computers carries them as well if you are in need of some quickly.

deepdowndawn

« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2013, 09:14:06 »

Perhaps as part of an "equipment" discussion. I wouldn't mind a "try before you buy" of some of the nicer flashlights out there!

Cache at night did a nice seminar on this at the mega but I didn't have time to stay for the whole thing. They had flashlights and discussed the eneloops (he said to make sure they are the real deal, make sure they are made in Japan, not anywhere else. I believe the sanyos are Japanese). They also had some great battery holders that glow in the dark and you can slide you batteries in backwards to indicate that they are discharged. They talked about flashlights and I got to see a really great demo when I lost my cell phone in the dark and they all helped to find...they weren't kidding--their flashlights were fantastic. I'll definitely be looking into a better one!

looks like Costco did carry them at some point: http://reviews.costco.ca/2070-en_ca/10358887/sanyo-sanyo-eneloop-1500-battery-pack-12-aaa-batteries-reviews/reviews.htm

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2013, 23:32:14 »
I'll try to remember to check the Nepean warehouse next time I'm there, which should be sometime this week I suspect.
Forgot to update this thread.

I was at the Nepean warehouse recently, and they only have the black top Duracell NiMh cells  :(

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2013, 15:23:24 »
Shopper Drug Mart often carries them; you just have to watch for the sales.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2013, 15:29:05 »
They were on sale this past weekend....and I forgot to go pick some up....