Author Topic: Oregon X50 - Firmware 5.1  (Read 6118 times)

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Oregon X50 - Firmware 5.1
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:50:59 »
I upgraded my Oregon 450 to firmware 5.1 last night just before the meeting and I thought I'd post my observations.  I figured my caching time for the next week will be limited so it is a good time to try a new firmware version.

First, the official link http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4523

The biggest change is the way geocaches are handled, the official link http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2011/09/improved-geocaching.html

My impressions:
It is a nice upgrade, you see the 'specs' of a geocache in the list rather that just the name.  Makes it easier to decide quickly if you want to get that cache, useful if you are driving around and are looking for a quick park-n-grab.

My only complaint so far is that everytime you turn on your Oregon it processes your GPX file (rather than just processing it the first time after you load it to your unit).  From what I can tell this is a fix for a problem of the processed GPX file starting to fill up with multiple instances of the same waypoints so I think they are just doing a clean load everytime for now.  Hopefully this will be fixed soon since it adds a min or two to the boot time.

If anyone else has it loaded, please post your observations/opinions/problems.   

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Re: Oregon X50 - Firmware 5.1
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 11:32:23 »
Based on the discussion on the Oregon Wiki, it might be best to wait.

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/message/view/Versions+x50/44242208

missbug

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 14:29:59 »
thanks for the tips!

imercator

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 15:45:04 »
I should have read this thread earlier!!!  I updated my Oregon from "myGarmin" on Sunday and thought it went rather well. Turned the machine on and was surprised with the added info on the "find a geocache" page. I was still happy at this point. Went out to test the firmware for a short while and was impressed with the 2m accuracy which I rarely achieve.

The problem began when I tried to restart the 450 later in the day. The green progress bar gets half way loading the waypoints when the screen fades to black. Nothing I can do is able to turn the machine on right now.

Garmin was kind enough to send me a GCD file which may help. Haven't tried it yet though and I'll report back on how it goes. At the moment I seem to have an expensive paperweight.

Now, I check in with "myGarmin" to check for map and firmware updates on occasion and have never had a problem. In this instance the firmware update to 5.1 was a bust. No mention of the firmware version or what it is supposed to remedy is available before the update. sounds like 5.1 was beta firmware that slipped into the main update stream.

My only consolation in this is that the unit is still on warranty.

Cheers

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 17:55:27 »
The problem began when I tried to restart the 450 later in the day. The green progress bar gets half way loading the waypoints when the screen fades to black. Nothing I can do is able to turn the machine on right now.

It is just for this reason that I keep most of my files on the memory card (other Oregon users have recommended this previously).  I cleaned most of the files off of my unit and removed the memory card before I upgraded.  Then I did a clean boot of the new OS, then I loaded my memory card and copied some files back to the internal memory.  This seems to have worked for me.  I've rebooted numerous times with no problems other than the longer boot times.  I haven't done much caching but I'll get out soon to take it for a good run before GAG weekend.

Keep us up-to-date with your recovery.  I'll post if I have any problems......but I think I'll load up caches on my old Legend H just in case.  ::)

ETA: imercator, you may want to clean out your /garmin/GPX folder and try to start before you wipe out your unit.  This might allow you to have a clean boot.  Also, if there is any way I could get a copy of the CD to keep as a backup just in case that would be great.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 18:00:03 by CocaColaCacher »

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
Re: Oregon X50 - Firmware 5.2
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:37:22 »
Version 5.2 has been released, it is supposed to fix the loading of the GPX everytime you boot.
----
"Changes made from version 5.10 to 5.20:
Fixed potential power-up issue introduced in previous release."
----
I like the generic way they refer to the inital problem  :P

Anyways, I'll load it up this afternoon and give it a try.  Update to follow.

imercator

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 17:11:06 »
Well I'm back in business!

garmin support emailed me a basically unlabeled GCD file and instructed me to drop it into the garmin directory and reboot. The file was a rollback to version 4.5 or 4.8 (can't remember now exactly) which the Oregon caught and executed. No Problems yet except for loosing my settings everything is smooth so far.

Step 2 of Garmin's instructions was to go back to "myGarmin" and reload the 5.1 firmware. Yikes!! Well I figured if I escaped death once I could do it again. The new update ended up completing without a hitch. Phew!

Now for 5.2.

BTW I also keep as many files as I can, maps and GPX files, on the SD card. The only files on the Oregon proper are a a few waypoints and the POIs.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 18:05:53 »
I have 5.2 loaded now any things are better now.  My gpx is only loaded the first time now, reboots are a lot quicker now.  I'll have to get out caching to field test it before GAG.  Old Legend H is loaded just in case.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 08:26:53 »
I have 5.2 loaded now any things are better now.  My gpx is only loaded the first time now, reboots are a lot quicker now.  I'll have to get out caching to field test it before GAG.  Old Legend H is loaded just in case.

Any other field results to share? I'm a little scared to take the plunge...

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 10:19:22 »
So far, so good.  I've rebooted many times, loaded up new 3000+ GPX's, searched for chirps (spoiler for GAG!).  I've been stable so far.  Haven't done a lot of actual caching as I've spent my time finishing up my GAG caches.

I'm not sure I'd want to risk it so close to GAG though as I've seen some posts with the same problem imercator had.  I'm not sure you'll need the extra info for GAG since you'll be looking for certain caches but certainly upgrade after that as the new geocaching list is really nice when just driving around.

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 06:42:05 »
Thanks for the updates.  Like Portera, I still think I'm going to hold off for a while yet.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

imercator

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 15:15:10 »
Well it's still alive with 5.2

Final verdict is 5.1 = Bad,   5.2 = Good

I do like the additional information shown in the "Find a Geocache" Tab and think the update is worth it for just that in itself. Wish I could post a screenshot. Basically it adds the D/T rating, the distance and the container size/type. I believe it just used to show the cache name, bearing and type.

Haven't found any caches with this version yet but I did navigate to about 14 locations around the city yesterday and it worked well. Could just be my maps or the 3 + thousand caches I have loaded but found the Oregon to be a little sluggish at times. Otherwise smooth sailing.

Happy updating everyone!

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 18:24:48 »
Wish I could post a screenshot.

Screen shot.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 18:41:43 »
That looks very handy. I think I'm sold. God help me. I'm gonna pack the old Colorado this weekend, just in case...

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 18:54:29 »
Good luck my friend.  Hopefully we'll see on the other side! :-\