Author Topic: Oregon X50 - Firmware 5.1  (Read 6074 times)

imercator

Re: Oregon X50 - Firmware 5.1
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 18:57:40 »
If you get stuck I still have the magic file garmin sent that delivered me from death's door.

Cheers

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 20:33:14 »
I installed on Thursday before GAG, and have had no issues with quite a bit of caching on multiple occasions. I like the new Geocaching list feature.

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 15:12:48 »
Loaded up 5.20 this morning and haven't noticed any issues (I removed my card with maps).  Start up seems about the same as previously, but that's probabaly because I have less than 500 caches and WPs on my device.  I may be imagining things, but parks and trails seem to be showing up with different colours making them a bit easier to see?  Cache info will, I think, prove useful overtime.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 17:30:06 »
Yes. The trails are now displayed as a dashed red line, though I think that was actually the previous release that most skipped as it was otherwise related only to Opencaching updates.

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 10:34:05 »
May have spoke too soon....

I decided to load up a few caches this morning on the 450 and noticed that each was loading in less than a second (previously, I would wait as much as 30 seconds for all the related info to load-up for each cache).  Interesting I thought: either this is a result of the firmware update or the caches weren't loading properly.  I shut down the device properly, disconnected it, and then decided to have a look.  The newly added caches are all there and look just fine.

But then I noticed that all of my waypoints (home, some addresses of relatives, a few potential new cache sites that I had been working on, birding sites) had disappeared.  Checked on the caches I had loaded up for GAG16 and they too were gone -- along with the previously stored caches that I had not completed.  "Show Finds" was also empty.

Reconnected the device and had a look at it as a drive.  I was relieved to note that all the caches are still on the device, there are a series of dated -- but small -- waypoint files, and there is a populated list of finds in my "geocache visits" file. 

Yanked the batteries and re-started in the hope that it would recover all of the older files with no joy.

Not quite sure how I'll get the device to read these files and I suspect it's an easy fix, but I'll be giving the 1-800 number at Garmin tech support a call on Monday.  Fortunately I can recreate many of my WPs using some tracks I've archived on MapSource.

I'll keep you posted...

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
Re: Oregon X50 - Firmware 5.2
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 20:06:21 »
I just upgraded from 4.5 to 5.2 last night.
As part of the process, Garmin made a point of asking that I should delete the GPX folder itself before starting the upgrade or there risks to be a problem after the upgrade.
I think it was saying to do so if I was coming from a load prior to 4.8.

Which means that there were no caches, no waypoints or tracks on our unit when our upgrade was performed.

The upgrade went fine, I loaded all my stuff back on it afterwards, including 2000+ caches, some waypoints and tracks, and all works as before for me so far.
Startup time is as good as before (maybe even slightly faster, but not noticeably), geocache list is much improved compared to before.

We do not use GSAK so can not comment on any interaction with files coming from there.

So far, it was worth upgrading. Can't find any problem.

I would recommend the upgrade to anyone, for as long as you make sure to follow all instructions when you perform the upgrade.

Starkiller

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 09:06:42 »
I had a couple of odd inconsistent side effects. Shortly after upgrading, I found when I tried to load over 2000 geocaches, the GPS would shut down right after processing the GPX. Thinking it could be the battery, I did it again on AC power with the same result. I brought it under 2000 and it was fine. I have since gone over 2000 and that was fine too...

About twice over 4 or 5 full days of caching I have had waypoints, geocaches, etc. go invisible. They can still be found in the menus, just not the map. A simple reset fixes that...

And so far, I've had the unit completely freeze (have to take out batteries) once in every 8 or 9 hours of use...

It is still quite usable... but I hope Garmin stabilizes things soon.

missbug

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 10:02:08 »
i just tried the update on my 550. it did not work properly. it loaded and then i reconnected to dump my stuff back on. now it's stuck on 'loading photos...' :( so i put my sd card back in - same thing. arghghghghg

edit to say yay for garmin tech support. i was instructed to connect the unit via usb to the computer and immediately press and hold the power button. almost 30 seconds later i established a connection and we deleted the DCIM folder.

the unit still hangs on 'loading photos' but finally now carries on the menu after about 10 seconds. whew!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 10:59:17 by missbug »

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 18:28:01 »
Had a nice chat with the folks at Garmin and we had the problem solved in a little while. 

Home and misc waypoints, unfound caches, and my found cache list have all been restored.

Essentially we copied the GPX file from the device on to my desk top; deleted the file on the device;reloaded the version saved on the desktop back on the device; et, voila.

missbug

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 15:12:14 »
I had a couple of odd inconsistent side effects. Shortly after upgrading, I found when I tried to load over 2000 geocaches, the GPS would shut down right after processing the GPX. Thinking it could be the battery, I did it again on AC power with the same result. I brought it under 2000 and it was fine. I have since gone over 2000 and that was fine too...

today my unit is crashing as it loads the gpx file. three times in a row. this did not happen until i used the brand new export macro.

i'm getting very very frustrated with the number of issues regarding the oregon lately.

HoundGPS

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 13:41:13 »
Personally, I am somewhat happy with 4.50 and will not move away from it until they actually wake up and implement native support for cache attributes. This has been demanded over and over and all they keep doing is brute forcing their opencaching.com to their handheld users and it annoys me to say the least. I am still stuck using a macro to add attributes as a fake log to each GPX entry as a patch to circumvent the lack of what I deem a NECESSARY FEATURE to geocaching. I can also pop my smartphone, but that is too dependent on the availability of the 3G network, therefore I would rather have them in the GPSr unit instead.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 14:44:03 by HoundGPS »

Starkiller

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 14:03:49 »
... all they keep doing is brute forcing their opencaching.com to their handheld users and it annoys me to say the least.

The new features actually have a style choice- you can choose between geocaching.com rating/terrain/size style, or opencaching's. The default is geocaching.com- at least they know where there user group is.

And yes, I agree that attributes should be a core feature.