Author Topic: Geocaching University - Good resource for newcomers  (Read 2122 times)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Geocaching University - Good resource for newcomers
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:56:15 »
If you're new to the hobby you've probably got a million questions, and twice as many ideas for caches!

The Geocaching University, http://geocacher-u.com, has a number of commonsense guides to geocaching, and some useful resources too. One of the useful topics is "Elements of Style in Geocaching", http://geocacher-u.com/?page_id=83, that provides some helpful advice about placing caches.

Under downloads and Printables, http://geocacher-u.com/?page_id=28, you'll find lots of logbook ideas as well as a tri-fold brochure explaining geocaching. Handy if you're approaching a land manager for permission to place a cache!

Cheers,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

PA

Re: Geocaching University - Good resource for newcomers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:36:27 »
WOW

Not sure if I have seen this site before (at a certain age memory starts fading), but it certainly is impressive.  So much information and so well written and well presented.  I especially liked the  Elements of Style section that mentioned.

Thanks

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 14:34:28 »
Wow!  Never seen that amount of useful information all in the same place.  I hope that this is not static and will grow over time.  I don't even know where one goes to buy an ammo box but I need to find a cache that size soon for a TB that just won't fit in a micro or a mini.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 21:06:21 »
I don't even know where one goes to buy an ammo box ...

Princess Auto, or several war surplus stores around. Just google search 'ammo box ottawa on' or similar...
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

Angutas Rest

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 21:46:22 »
I use ammo boxes for many reasons. In the camping section, in LeBaron on Merivale, a mid sized metal box is about $6. Sometimes you have to reserve at customer service, because they sell quick.

Ammo cans are good, since they keep your trade/trackables/stuff dry. I like them, because for me, the cache should be about the place, not just the log book.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 09:06:00 »
Yeah there's no buzz kill like finding a cache and discovering it's a soggy mess covered in black mold!

The only problem I've had with ammo boxes is that they are often stolen because they're attractive containers....*sigh*

Out in the woods though they are what you need to deter the raccoons and bears that find the cache. I've seen PB jars and lock'n locks chewed upon and ruined, but never an ammo can!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:12:52 »
And there's nothing quite like an ammo box (or 4 :) ) for keeping that log book nice and dry...

Starkiller

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 09:38:34 »
I've seen PB jars and lock'n locks chewed upon and ruined, but never an ammo can!

Ammo cans are generally pretty durable, but sometimes they can be ruined too. Example: http://coord.info/GC9335

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:37:27 »
I know several examples of ammo cans that got destroyed by bulldozers, etc, but they still remain one of the best containers for caches. They are problematic in urban settings of course, so the L&L is a good alternative.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

missbug

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 11:12:45 »
i have never seen a mangled ammo can such as that! WOW  :o

it may be smart to scratch a tiny symbol or initials somewhere on the ammo can so that if stolen, you may have a chance of spotting your container again (and tracking its thief!).

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 15:57:51 »
Ammo cans are generally pretty durable, but sometimes they can be ruined too. Example: http://coord.info/GC9335

Yikes!  I don't want to meet the bear which did that!

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 20:56:34 »
Yikes!  I don't want to meet the bear which did that!

More likely that is was a large yellow Cat(erpillar)