Author Topic: Geocaching for Android Applications (By Geocaching.com)  (Read 4665 times)

Tegiro

• Jr. Cacher
    • Descendants of Bertrand Chesnay
Geocaching for Android Applications (By Geocaching.com)
« on: October 24, 2011, 07:53:30 »
Wondering if anyone has used Geocaching.com's mobile apps program for android cell phones.
Their website lists the app as: Geocaching for Android Applications.
The photo displays seem to look good, but not sure if its all it says it is.

I have purchased a Samsung Galaxy Ace and would like to try a geocaching app with it.
I have read the threads on geocaching apps but a lot deals with Blackberry units, which I don't have.

If there are better geocaching apps for android cell phones I would also like to hear their opinions.

graciious

Re: Geocaching for Android Applications (By Geocaching.com)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:55:36 »
I used it and hated it at first.. then it got a major overhaul.  The program works good for paperless info but I never found the GPS to be very accurate.  It was after all a cell phone however..

I really only used it once or twice to log finds after I realized it's limitations.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 11:02:46 »
Don't buy it thinking you can leave the GPSr at home! Very few phones have a decent enough GPS to make that worthwhile, instead buy it for the paperless geocaching and for the ability to look at caches on the GC.com site if you're willing to use up your data plan.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

graciious

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 13:05:04 »
For android there is a great program that I just remembered...  C:geo there are two of them listed on the marketplace.  One is free and one is out of date and not supported by the owner (it was also free)

The program lets you download all the info from the pocket queries, including pictures and everything.  It takes a while to load the caches I remember adding a 1000 caches from a single query over night but once it's loaded it keeps all the info close at hand and finding the one you want was pretty straight forward.

If you need more info drop me a message.

I also suggest you get a drycase for your phone, cause they don't do so good in the water.  I recently fell into a creek (another geocaching accident) and my brand new (in May) Galaxy S got ruined.

I am back to a blackberry for now.. we'll see how things work out with my android.

Tegiro

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 14:10:53 »
I used it and hated it at first.. then it got a major overhaul.  The program works good for paperless info but I never found the GPS to be very accurate.  It was after all a cell phone however..

I really only used it once or twice to log finds after I realized it's limitations.

Looking at the pros and cons it looks like my Garmin 60CSx will be my main driver.
I might use an android app for geocaching simply to be able to read the information for caches i have difficulties finding on sites. Or, I might just use my web browser and navigate to geocaching.com and view the cache info that way. I'm not sure what is the best way, an adroid app to view cache info or simply use my browser to go and read info at geocaching.com

I usually log my finds immediately that same day so doing it on the run with my cell phone won't be a choice for me.

Its still all an experiment to me so far.

Tegiro

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 14:14:04 »
For android there is a great program that I just remembered...  C:geo there are two of them listed on the marketplace.  One is free and one is out of date and not supported by the owner (it was also free)

The program lets you download all the info from the pocket queries, including pictures and everything.  It takes a while to load the caches I remember adding a 1000 caches from a single query over night but once it's loaded it keeps all the info close at hand and finding the one you want was pretty straight forward.

If you need more info drop me a message.

I also suggest you get a drycase for your phone, cause they don't do so good in the water.  I recently fell into a creek (another geocaching accident) and my brand new (in May) Galaxy S got ruined.

I am back to a blackberry for now.. we'll see how things work out with my android.

I read quite a bit on the internet about C:geo. I might give it a try if the free one is still available.
Thanks

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 14:15:44 »
Searching for a cache on GC.com with your phone browser can be a pain, the GC.com app will let you "find nearest" either off your saved PQ or from the website, quick and easy!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Tegiro

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 14:23:50 »
I think a lot of this will be a learning experience and I thank you all for the good suggestions so far offered.
Perhaps GC app would be good to read the info and I may try that also.

I seldom have to find more info when geocaching but there are a few times when I'm far from home and "really" have to find it so I don't have to drive all the way back that viewing some of the logs or reading again the cache info "on site" might help me.

So I will experiment to see what is best out there...but still use my Garmin 60CSx.

Thanks

graciious

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 21:31:34 »
My Galaxy is out at the repair shop due to some damage but when I get it back I will let you try out the GC App for android and C:geo on the same device, we can meet up for a quick drink and talk apps.  There are some good ones for the android but IMHO C:geo is the way to go.

Tegiro

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 05:40:16 »
My Galaxy is out at the repair shop due to some damage but when I get it back I will let you try out the GC App for android and C:geo on the same device, we can meet up for a quick drink and talk apps.  There are some good ones for the android but IMHO C:geo is the way to go.

Thanks graciious.
Just pm me when you can find the time to meet and I'll buy  :)

JoMari

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 16:07:48 »
I've been using C:geo for quite a while now. Not so much for finding caches but for accessing info on the go. You can see what caches are close to you at any given time. It even supports live maps so you can see what caches are near you as you move around. The feature I use the most is when an email comes in, I can open the cache in c:geo and look at the map, or satellite view right away to see where it is located. It is also useful in that it uses the Navigate feature and can give you turn by turn directions to the cache location. It is still available for free. They changed developers not so long ago, thats the difference from the old version (carneo) to the new open source version. Give it a try, you got nothing to lose.

Tegiro

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 18:24:31 »
That will probably be my main reason to use such an app (C:Geo), to read the logs or the cache info, as my GPSr does not have all that info. I know there were times i had difficulty finding a cache and had wondered if I had missed a log with a DNF recently or more. It would be nice to confirm on the spot.
I have a Nuvî350 for driving so I might not need the turn by turn route to a cache with C:Geo.
Still in the experimenta l stage  ;)

Tromelin

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 21:12:13 »
So far I've been using the geocaching.com app (for Android). Junglehair kinda forced me to buy it. I haven't found the accuracy with cellphone to be too bad, in fact, once it brought me closer to the cache than my Oregon (just make sure your phone has a internal gps antenna and not just use towers). The app gets you the closest caches and is somewhat faster than using a browser to get photos and latest logs. Having maps and satellite photos is nice too. They now let you log trackables too which was missing before.

The main problem with phone caching is that the battery life on the phone just isn't there. Perhaps if you turn off the screen.

I do also have C:Geo on my phone but I have yet to use it to find a cache. Considering the price, that's likely the better option, not sure one needs to spend money to look at your souvenirs.

geonerding

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 22:45:53 »
I use C: Geo and found that it's ease of use was a little tricky at times but since owning it there's already been some upgrades to the program. I also contemplated about getting the android app as well however having the I phone app defeats the purpose of having to pay twice for an application.

TyggerBob

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 08:12:03 »
I tried both, and I LOVE C:Geo. It's has all the features I need, including mobile logging, cache details, and trackable management.  I agree about the GPS in the Androids though.. I find it very inaccurate or sometimes unable to lock in at all, and certainly wouldn't go out with my Map60Cx for the actual finding.
Tyg