Author Topic: Geocaching for Android Applications (By Geocaching.com)  (Read 4394 times)

geonerding

Re: Geocaching for Android Applications (By Geocaching.com)
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 21:50:14 »
I tried both, and I LOVE C:Geo. It's has all the features I need, including mobile logging, cache details, and trackable management.  I agree about the GPS in the Androids though.. I find it very inaccurate or sometimes unable to lock in at all, and certainly wouldn't go out with my Map60Cx for the actual finding.
Tyg

I tried to use the GPS feature with C:Geo it is infact off although I wonder how accurate it might be on other android/Iphone/BB and such phones.. It might have something to do with the actual gps chip in different phones.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:52 »
I've encountered 'new' cachers using dedicated handheld GPSrs who were 'off' all the time too, and discovered that their unit was set to a different datum. Remember that GC.com uses WGS84 but most GPSrs can be set to other datums, much to the chagrin of the geocacher who's always 20 meters off the GZ!

Does the phone or C:Geo have a choice of datum system to use or is it just plain inaccurate? My iPhone 3G is horrible, 17m accuracy is the best I've managed, but the iPhone 4 is very good indeed!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 19:55:55 »
The GPS chips in most phones are not that great to begin with.

I used c:geo when I was testing the geocaching waters last year (I now use NeonGeo since c:geo apparently violates the GC.com TOU and is not an approved app, as great as it is).

I don't recall if c:geo had an option to change datums.
With NeonGeo you can select DD MM.MMM format or decimal format, but that's all.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S (GT-i9000m) Android phone and the GPS was horrible until I tweaked it (required rooting the phone).
It got even better when I installed a European ROM on the device.

Even after all the tweaks, loading a better ROM, the results are still not as good as a dedicated GPSr unit.

For paperless caching, loading up PQs, creating field notes for logging, and reading log entries when you're thoroughly stumped, the apps are great.   
The screen on my phone is about 3 times the size of the one on my GPSr (Garmin eTrex 20)...reading logs loaded from a PQ on the GPSr is a challenge.