Author Topic: CCC Geocacher's Anonymous Workshop - November 2011  (Read 3035 times)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
CCC Geocacher's Anonymous Workshop - November 2011
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:27:56 »
CCC Geocacher's Anonymous Workshop - November 2011

The workshop for November will be held on Thursday November 17th instead of the 10th. Same place;
Dovercourt Recreation Centre
411 Dovercourt Ave.
Upstairs lobby area

7pm

Bring your mobile geocaching hardware and be ready to host impromptu lessons on your favourite apps, tricks and secrets!

There should be the usual suspects in attendance to answer questions.

What would YOU like to learn about?
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: CCC Geocacher's Anonymous Workshop - November 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 12:06:56 »
Late submitting the event page, eh?  ::)

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

GreyingJay

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 13:06:19 »
Teehee!

The travelling AV kit is available to use, just let me know if we want it!

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 00:07:39 »
What "I" would want to learn: "Placing your very first cache 101"

I got a great cache container as GAG16 prize and I am excited to place my very first cache.

So, I have read and heard a lot in this forum and elsewhere about what container is suitable where, etc so hopefully I should be able to find a great spot for it.

But what nobody seems to be talking about is the process of getting the cache approved.
I have lots of questions, like:

When I find a great spot, there are many reasons why the cache is not ready to be published, yet I want to "reserve the spot" in case somebody else decides to place their own cache there while I am getting ready.
What can be changed after the cache page has been created?
I would probably not even place the cache until I know that everything is OK, so is it possible to change the "Date Placed" field after the creation of the cache page?
Can I change the title after the fact?
Can I update the coordinates after the fact? (once I have completed the waypoint averaging process)

At what point will the reviewer tell me that the coordinates are bad? (i.e. I don't want to waste my time doing the waypoint averaging and/or chasing an eluding property owner if my spot is too close to another hidden cache in the first place)
If that's the case, can I reuse the same cache form to place a cache very far from the original location?

I don't want to get the cache page published until I feel I am ready, i.e. after I have actually placed the cache AND I have received approval from the property owner AND I have completed waypoint averaging AND I have polished my description AND (if placing in winter) a snowstorm has erased my footsteps.
How do I ensure that the reviewer does not publish my cache too early?
Then, how do I let the reviewer know that the cache is now ready to be published?

On the cache creation form, what is the difference between the short description and the long description? Where do each one appear on the resulting cache page?

How do I get approval from the property owner?
In particular:
   - how can I tell if the property owner is the City of Ottawa? If so, are there rules other than basic Groundspeak rules that should I follow in order to get approved? If I follow those rules, do I even need to talk to somebody or is the approval implied? If I need to talk to somebody, what is the contact name/e-mail/phone# I should use?
   - same questions about the NCC property
   - if it is neither NCC nor the City of Ottawa, how do I find out who owns the property and how to contact the owner?

Anything else I should think about/know about?

While I would greatly appreciate to get those answers on this forum, it could also be a great subject for the workshop.

fradjoh

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:19:43 »
For cd.cuts: Most of your questions are answered here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/hiding.aspx.  I hope it helps.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:47:48 »
Wow.... OK we'll talk about publishing a cache.

Blue
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:29:30 »
I placed my first cache, a multi in the Stony Swamp, last spring. It was a bit nerve racking because I had many of the same questions that cd.cuts did.

Here are some things I learned in the process:
  • Given the density of caches in the Stony Swamp, I was very concerned about proximity issues, so I very carefully read item “4.8. Checking for Cache Saturation” in the review process. I followed the steps at the bottom exactly, including emailing a local reviewer. I picked CacheViewer only because I knew who she was. Her response was that I should enable the cache instead, after creating the reviewer note as described in step 3. I actually hadn’t done that, so I created a dummy note, with the intention of enabling later.
  • That caused me some concern because I immediately received an email from geocaching.com telling me that there was a note on the cache. I was worried that perhaps that meant the reviewers could see it and would act on it before I was ready. I hurriedly sent off another email to CacheViewer, who assured me that I would receive an email about anything placed on the page of a cache I owned, but that the reviewers wouldn’t see it until I enabled the listing. Phew. I was able to remove the note and create a new one with my request for saturation. A day or two later, when I was surer of my points, I nervously enabled the cache.
  • Which leads to the next point… Enabling an unpublished cache doesn’t make it visible to the world. That will not happen until the cache is published. Until then, I can add notes, edit the contents, do whatever I want on the page, and no one will see what’s what until it’s published.
  • When the cache is published, all reviewer notes are deleted. Regular notes remain.

Here are a few more comments:
  • The reviewer will let you know about the legality of your waypoints via a reviewer note on the cache page. You’ll get an email when that happens. At this point, I believe (although I’m not 100% sure) that the locations you’ve specified are now reserved for your use. I think if you don’t use them within some timely period, a reviewer can archive your unpublished cache to free the space up again.
  • I always include “DO NOT PUBLISH” as the first line in a reviewer note when I want to communicate with a reviewer, but don’t want the cache published. It has worked fine in my admittedly limited experience. For the reviewer to see your note, you must enable the cache. They will disable it again when they’ve answered. If you subsequently have another question, or need a saturation check repeated, post another reviewer note and enable the cache. That will trigger another round of the process. Eventually, you’ll post a note that lets the reviewer know your cache is ready for publication.  I felt like I was going on a first date the first time I did that! I was very nervous about how the geocaching community was going to receive my cache so I wanted everything to be just right. Now I’m a tad more blasé about it.
  • I don’t bother with averaging any of the waypoints before getting the saturation check done. I do the waypoint averaging after the saturation check has passed. If the points passed on the first go, moving them a few meters isn’t likely to cause them to fail later.
  • Anything about the cache can be changed at any time. Changing coordinates before publication is as easy as doing it; I have no experience with doing that after publication.
  • The short description is the first paragraph of the cache description. I use it like an abstract. The long description is all the rest.

I hope these comments are helpful.

cd.cuts

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 00:17:37 »
Thank you all so much for all your helpful answers!

I was looking forward to get all my remaining answers at the workshop on Thursday but unfortunately won't be able to make it  :(
Would it be possible to make it the official subject for the December workshop instead?

If not, I think that my outstanding questions are concerning getting approval from the property owner.
What I am looking for is specific info about local well-known property owners, such as:
- city of Ottawa
- crown land (if different from city of Ottawa???)
- NCC
- Gatineau Park (if anything different from remaining NCC land)
- shopping malls
- any other well-known local property owner worthy of being mentioned

For each of those, it would be nice to have a guide on:
- where to find geographical boundaries of these well-known properties
- are there any specific rules enforced by the particular local land owner that we should be aware of before even contacting them?
- do some of them have an implied consent if those rules are followed?
- if not, what are the contact name(s)/e-mail (or other) that we should contact to get formal approval?
- what to do/say and not do/not say in order to get a positive outcome?

Maybe we could even put all those answers on a sticky post so that future new cachers can find that local info easily?

Again, thank you all for your help.

AirForce Gypsies

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 16:32:51 »
I know this is very late to ask, I wonder if I will be in over my head since I have so few caches compared to most attending, I would hate to waste anyone's time with questions only I have...

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 16:38:03 »
One is never over their head, you are welcome to attend.  Mention what you want to know more about and someone will be more then happy to help you out.

I will be there, which also means that, CacheViewer will be there to answer any questions.

In fact, I am almost always there, when I don't show up I end up with cachers at my door.  Not fun as they usually catch me in my PJ's so just easier to attend  ;)

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

AirForce Gypsies

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 16:45:50 »
thank you so much for answering so quickly... Now I just need Mr Gypsies to get home from work on time.

If I bother anyone with too much of a newb question please feel free to tell me.  :)

I hope to be there.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 16:47:17 »
I know this is very late to ask, I wonder if I will be in over my head since I have so few caches compared to most attending, I would hate to waste anyone's time with questions only I have...

Time talking geocaching is never wasted. If you want to have a one-on-one with basic questions, there will be someone there who will be more than happy to sit down with you to chat.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

GreyingJay

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 09:37:32 »
The events are very welcoming to newbies and the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.  So ask away!  Nice to meet everyone last night.