Author Topic: Why Waymarking?  (Read 4539 times)

3-Bearss

Why Waymarking?
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:52:09 »
 :o We never really got into the waymarking thing when virtual caches went away!
Since that time, I have wandered over to the site now and again and finally found a reason to log a waymark. Our Waymarking, Geocaching and Wherigo accounts all mirror each other.

While on our little trek across North America this year we came across a sign, The Longitudinal Centre of Canada about 25 km east of Winnipeg. Hmmm, no geocache!

So looking to waymarking and there it was WM26XV. In short, this is a nice way to mark locations you have been to in your travels.

Cron has also placed a cache that requires you to post two benchmarks on waymarking.  ;)

narcissa

Re: Why Waymarking?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:53:28 »
I find the site difficult to navigate and there aren't any pocket queries. It seems to be geared more toward marking than finding.

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 17:27:33 »
I did a waymarking tour in Chicago last year and  saw many things that I may have just walked by if it was not for waymarking.  I actually went into the Chicago Library for various waymarks, where I may have just walked by not knowing all the treasures inside.  I just got around to logging them recently and yes the site is different to navigate then geocaching, but as I find my way with logging more it is getting easier and short cuts are learned.  I have waymarked our road trips this summer.  Through waymarking I learn a bit more about the places we stop then I would from finding a geocache.  I have also placed a few waymarks this summer and have a few more to submit. 

Yes it would be nice if there was PQ's and a way to filter them so you can find just things your interested in. 

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

narcissa

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 18:06:30 »
I think it's something Nik and I could really get into if the site was easier to use. As it is now, it's just too confusing and inconvenient. I can put 1000 geocaches into my GPS at once by dragging and dropping. Weeding through Waymarks and putting them on one at a time is just too much work when we're on the go.

ottawabirdbrain

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 20:19:32 »
I find the site difficult to navigate and there aren't any pocket queries. It seems to be geared more toward marking than finding.

I second this.  I've gone back to the site several times and always find it not worth the trouble of figuring out how to make it work well.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 23:12:38 »
I really enjoyed the "Locationless" caches when they were active. There were a number of online lists of the caches, categorized, so you could search the area you were in for locations/ installations/items that might satisfy the requirements of a 'locationless' cache. Then you would Ctl - F the cache page to ensure your find had not yet been submitted to the cache. Each new 'item' could only be submitted once.

In July of 2005 I was sailing down a highway in rural New Hampshire as we returned from a family vacation and I spotted an old Fordson Tractor on someone's lawn as we sped by. I slammed on the brakes and marked the co-ordinates and took some photos for "Steel Wheels" by smithdw http://coord.info/GC69D3. It was my third 'steel wheels' find, but the first that hadn't already been claimed. In England I found several Royal Mail mailboxes that dated from Queen Victoria's reign for "Victoria's Mail Box" by The Northumbrian http://coord.info/GCC2E3. I even found one in Ottawa, though I wasn't able to submit it to the cache.

These days there are so many waymarks I don't know where to begin! Everything and anything is a waymark it seems. I think the key is to focus only on the waymarks that are of interest to you and exclude all the rest. Concentrate on what is important to you and hunt them down.

Blue -

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 21:50:37 by bluelamb03 »
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 18:17:56 »
Here is the list of current waymark categories, yep there are a lot  8)
http://www.waymarking.com/cat/categorydirectory.aspx?f=1

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."

Juicepig

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 07:12:08 »
it would be nice to be able to TOTALLY ignore a particular category, so that you wouldn't have to sift through the mounds of telephone boots, neon signs, fire hydrants, Tim Hortons, mailboxes, etc. and actually look at interesting stuff.  If I was able to ignore those, and do a closest waymarks from home, then I might actually find something neat.

Some of the Categories guarantee i wouldn't be interested in anything contained in them.

graciious

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:17:01 »
This topic finally got the better of me, and I clicked on the link.  Now I feel dirty.

team polarbear

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 19:08:30 »
I have the one for the lighthouse at Cape Spear, NF.

Team Polarbear

JSDAFM

• Jr. Cacher
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 19:27:26 »
I have the In-and-Out Burger in San Fran... there are lots of not so useful ones... but there are some good ones.. like the Wave Organ in San Fran.. (a very nice look out and also a geocache too!!)

3-Bearss

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 20:22:47 »

Team Polarbear

Hmm, we have been there several times!

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 20:43:12 »
You can back log in waymarking.  So if you have a photo from a past visit you can log the waymark.....

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 21:07:46 »
I waymark if I'm out geocaching and will be walking right past one. I also admit to owning a few that I 'place' while on vacation...

http://www.waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&uid=a20d5b13-f825-4dea-a027-e22e1b0643a8&st=126&wft=2

I've found a few too...

http://www.waymarking.com/wm/search.aspx?f=1&wft=3&uid=a20d5b13-f825-4dea-a027-e22e1b0643a8&st=66

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 21:11:48 by model12 »
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

team polarbear

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 21:49:31 »

Team Polarbear

Hmm, we have been there several times!

And I see that you were there once more, thanks for the waymark.

Team Polarbear