Author Topic: Flashlights etc. Comparison  (Read 13849 times)

graciious

Re: Flashlights etc. Comparison
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 09:30:51 »
I am in love with my Duracell "Daylight" flashlight.  It's very bright, and comes in both 3AAA or 2AA versions. They also have a headlamp version but I didn't see it last time I was out.  They sell them at Sail for around 20 bucks.

It's really the best flashlight I have ever used.

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 10:34:02 »
Hopefully Kirok pipes in; he had some kick ass lights with him on GAG16. Both headlamp & handheld. Don't remember the models  :-[

My headlamp is a Princeton Tech Apex H20, which you can buy at any outfitters such as MEC, Trailheads, SAIL, etc...
My flashlight is a SureFire LX2 LumaMax, which you can buy at LeBaron or R. Nicholls

Prices are not low on these units.  I'm due for an upgrade on my headlamp as I find the APEX too heavy with 4 AA batteries in it.    Perhaps a SureFire headlamp that uses the same lithium batteries as my flashlight.

JoMari

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 03:18:25 »
Being in the dark on a usual basis, I like the Energizer Micro LED headlight I picked up at LeBaron. It is compact, light, and plenty bright. Uses 1 AA battery which is on the back of your head so you hardly feel any wieght when you wear it. Gets upwards of 2 hours on 1 battery depending on how good your batteries are. Only problem I found is the buttons are too easy to push, would find it turned on in my bag or pocket if the battery is left in. Found keeping it in a hard eyeglass case solved that problem.

http://www.energizer.ca/product-detail.aspx?ps=aQA9ADUAOQAmAGwAPQA1ACYAYwA9ADEAOAA=

cacheatnight

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 09:43:49 »
I didn't know if it was appropriate to post this so I checked with Bluelamb03 and he indicated that it's relevant to the discussion so I could go ahead and post it.

Cache At Night has a promotion on right now for 25% off the Rogue 2 flashlight.  It is made by SureFire using their consumer brand Icon.   It produces 100 on high for three hours on two AA.  The beam is very nice.  If you are thinking of upgrading to a higher quality AA flashlight this is a good time to do so.

http://www.cacheatnight.com/rogue-2-december-promotion/1700/

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 13:19:04 »
Not a bad price.  Yes, ICON is SureFire's "sister" company, and is a recent acquisition.   They kept the ICON name to distinguish between their pro-grade lights made in the USA (SureFire) and their consumer grade lights made in China (ICON). 

Speaking from experience with my SureFire, you don't really need 200+ lumens of tactical lighting when geocaching, so the ICON lights would do just fine.  Bonus that they take AA batteries.  8)    That said, once you go SureFire you'll never go back.  ;D

GreyingJay

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 13:31:18 »
Speaking from experience with my SureFire, you don't really need 200+ lumens of tactical lighting when geocaching

You probably don't want people calling the police to report bright lights in the woods behind their house, either...

cacheatnight

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 15:05:32 »
At $37.49 for a 100 lumen flashlight on AA batteries we like to think it's a great price but we might be biased ;-)

The last link I included was to the promo page, this is a link directly to the flashlight spec page:

http://www.cacheatnight.com/flashlights-2/rogue-2-flashlight/

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 15:14:17 »
The one BIG problem I have with my, and other similar, flashlights is the Click Switch on the end of the light. Mine is forever hitting something in my caching bag, or pocket, and when I reach for it, all I find is a dead flashlight. A dollar store light with a side switch has NEVER failed me.

It's only one problem, but one that renders the light useless.

Still looking for the right light.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

cacheatnight

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 15:58:06 »
I had a similar end cap problem until I discovered this little trick!  This works on Rogue 2 and other Icon lights I'm not sure about other manufacturers.

Turn the head of the flashlight 1/32-1/16 of a turn.  Just that little gap means that the light cannot turn on.  The o-ring provides plenty of tension so the head won't come unscrewed when it's in your pack.

I do this whenever I'm putting my Rogue 2 flashlight away for the night.  I keep my Link clipped on the outside of my backpack shoulder strap so it's never an issue with that light. 

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 18:28:49 »
Tried that, doesn't work for my light. I use a 35mm film can over the switch end to protect it from accidental activation.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

marvin_gardens

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 18:37:38 »
Being in the dark on a usual basis, I like the Energizer Micro LED headlight I picked up at LeBaron. It is compact, light, and plenty bright. Uses 1 AA battery which is on the back of your head so you hardly feel any wieght when you wear it. Gets upwards of 2 hours on 1 battery depending on how good your batteries are. Only problem I found is the buttons are too easy to push, would find it turned on in my bag or pocket if the battery is left in. Found keeping it in a hard eyeglass case solved that problem.

http://www.energizer.ca/product-detail.aspx?ps=aQA9ADUAOQAmAGwAPQA1ACYAYwA9ADEAOAA=

Hey JoMari, do you find the light output is different (ie brighter) depending on if you use a Alkaline battery vs an NIMH rechargable battery?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 22:05:53 by marvin_gardens »

cacheatnight

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 18:41:57 »
You need a better light ;-)

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 21:10:44 »
You need a better light ;-)

Donations / Beta testing product welcome...! ;) ;D
Steve

- Dr. Seuss

HoundGPS

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 01:08:59 »
Personnally, I use and prefer a tactical vest instead of a backpack and I have tried both. The tactical vest has the advantage of always having your stuff at your disposal IN FRONT of you instead of having to resort to unloading stuff from your backpack. It also has the nifty feature of having flashlight pouches. I store my flashlights in those pouches (U.V., normal and high-lumen and they all have that back button). They never turned on by themselves or by inadvertently knocking them.

JoMari

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 08:09:33 »
Marvin_Garden

Never really paid attention to the brightness since I only used the alkaline battery that came with it and rechargeables since. I do suppose alkalines might be brighter initially since many are 1.5 volts as opposed to 1.2v NIMH rechargeables.

Also never had a problem with the end switches turning on in my pocket or geobag. But then again the flashlights I have take a good push to click them on, unlike some cheap ones I've come across where a light touch turns them on.