Author Topic: Flashlights etc. Comparison  (Read 16090 times)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Flashlights etc. Comparison
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 10:45:01 »
Personnally, I use and prefer a tactical vest instead of a backpack and I have tried both.

Ditto on the vest.  The only backpack I use while caching, when needed, is my camel pack for long hikes needing lots of water. MY vest holds my other essentials.

GreyingJay

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2011, 10:56:13 »
How well do these tactical vests work when you're wearing bulky winter gear?

And any recommended models?

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2011, 11:46:09 »
Actually, I use a vest but not a tactical vest, for that very reason.  I find them too bulky.  I use a fly-fishing vest instead, which has a ton of convenient pockets, and is not built to stop bullets.  ;)

HoundGPS

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2011, 13:05:53 »
LOL!

Not all vests are bulletproof ;)

I do not use a *REAL* tactical vest. It is a recycled paintball tactical vest. Those are actual milsim replicas of some original models, made with different materials. A hell of a lot cheaper too! I used to play paintball... I don't anymore and when I started geocaching, I thought this would be a great second-life to that vest ;)

There are multiple models available to suit pretty much anyone's fancy. They adjust very well, I can wear it on top of my winter jacket and camelbak hydration system without issues. The one I have is, unfortunately, cadpat camouflage pattern and is not really recommended for urban caching if you don't really want unnecessary attention or suspicion, but its perfect for the hikes! I never leave without it! Even for urban caching... I take strict necessary out to find the cache and leave the vest in the car... because the car is never far anyways when urban caching.

I have everything in there: gloves, extra sets of batteries, spare logbooks and notebooks, 3 flashlights, 1 headlight, cache repair kit (spare ziplocks, film cans, pill cans and log sheets), tweezers, first aid kit, various swag items, travel bugs and geocoins, spare pen, bear attack deterrent, bear bell, carabiner clips to hold GPS when traveling or not actively using it, maps, compass, smartphone and various cables.

You can lookup google for "paintball tactical vest" and you will get MANY results.

Since i can't find my own model on the net, here is one I would probably consider buying : http://www.paintballgear.ca/product/GXG_Tactical_Vest-_Black.html

Lucky-Lizard

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2011, 13:23:46 »
Let me chime in for a second, seeing as how I cache weekly with HoundGPS AND am also a hardcore paintball player.

The link that HoundGPS provided indeed shows tactical vests. What HoundGPS has is not actually a tactical vest, but rather a load bearing vest (also called UBV). The main difference is that the tactical vest covers the chest area and the back, like a sleeveless shirt with lots of compartments, while the load bearing vest is more like suspenders with pockets and compartments.

More specifically, HoundGPS has the Leapers UTG Load bearing vest in what looks like MARPAT digital camo, similar to this: http://www.kapowwe.com/pvc-v746e.html

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 13:26:24 by Lucky-Lizard »

HoundGPS

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2011, 13:30:42 »
Hehe Lucky-Lizard, thanks for clarifying that out and also finding a link to my vest ;)

Though, the name of the vest is actually "Woodland Digital Web Tactical Load Bearing Vest" which contains the words Tactical and Vest. Therefore, just to nag at things, I am still right :) It's just that my vest is of the "Load Bearing" type :D

Lucky-Lizard

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2011, 13:34:49 »
Tactical or not, HoundGPS does not look kid-friendly with that vest on  ;D

Xira

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011, 11:56:37 »
Returning to the original post...

I have a tiny flashlight that I like a lot. It's a  ITP A3 EOS.

I didn't post about it right away because, according to earlier posts, it has two flaws, which are: a) it uses an AAA (just one) battery and b) it turns on by twisting the head. I don't have any problem with either of those. I understand the attraction of carrying only one type of battery (AA), but I have plenty of AAAs, so it's not a problem for me. I don't really understand why the second is a problem.

What I like about it is combination of the tiny size, 2.5 inches long, and its brightness, 80 lumens. It lights up an area very nicely and I can see reflective tacks from a good ways off. The flaw is that it uses up the battery very quickly, within an hour. Since I rarely use it that long at any one time, it hasn't been a problem for me.

I've just done a search on it, and sadly, it seems to be discontinued. The Olight I3 seems to be a close equivalent.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2011, 10:48:15 »
So I saw the model used by Kirok & the comment from "cacheatnight" but what headlamp was CacheAtNight suggesting or did I miss it again?

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 12:47:58 »
I didn't post about it right away because, according to earlier posts, it has two flaws, which are: a) it uses an AAA (just one) battery and b) it turns on by twisting the head. I don't have any problem with either of those. I understand the attraction of carrying only one type of battery (AA), but I have plenty of AAAs, so it's not a problem for me. I don't really understand why the second is a problem.

My Maglite uses the twist system as well, I don't see the problem either. The button on the base is problematic on some models, but people seem to have developed workarounds....

The problem with AAA batteries is 1- having to carry more than one type of battery around, and 2 - poor endurance. You say your light only lasts an hour or so?  That's not long enough for my requirements.
Cheers,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

missbug

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 15:10:41 »
sigspig - cacheatnight is a good source for ultraviolet lights.

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2011, 18:38:54 »
Just got a shipment of UV stuff from cacheatnight (thanks for the fast shipping and reasonable prices). 

Pen/light works well.  Looks like the same one Blue has. 
UV line looks interesting.
Mini flashlight/uv/laser pointer is cool.

Now to think of a few cache ideas.

Redpoll

• Full Time Cacher
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2011, 06:53:14 »
PhotonLights.  Small but effective. 

And SigsPig, they have both UV and IR versions: http://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/specialty-ir-uv-lights/?sort=bestselling
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2011, 08:16:01 »
Ummmm, I wasn't looking for a UV light. Just an upgrade for a headlamp & handheld. Pretty sure Dollarama has UV lights for the limited use required on "some" caches  ;)

Tromelin

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 21:59:38 »
I use a Filzer X4 LED flashlight.  It's been good so far. Works with AA batteries (so you can steal the batteries during the day to power your GPSr), I think it works even better with rechargeables.  At 30$, it's not too bad, in the end this should pay itself off in battery use. I bought mine at MEC.

The light itself works great. Haven't really used it continuously to vouch for it's 8 hour run time, but it certainly stays in my pockets a while before needing new batteries. They advertise 100 lumens (I think mine is an older model at 80) and it certainly looks bright when used.

It lacks any fancy features (sos, ajustable light level(okay, maybe not that fancy)). It does have the button in the back, which to me hasn't been a problem.

I don't tend to lose flashlights, but I won't say how many sunglasses I lost.