Author Topic: Flashlights etc. Comparison  (Read 17304 times)

geonerding

Re: Flashlights etc. Comparison
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 22:20:52 »
We both have been using an Energizer LED headlamp for sometime now and it doesn't seem to give much trouble cheap and effective for the time being.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 20:23:30 »
In my continuing quest for an all-round general purpose geocaching flashlight, I think that the Rogue 2 comes very close to the perfect choice. Aside from the features advertised on the website, and on the web elsewhere, it has several key features that I look for and appreciate.

- The dual lumen settings are very close to what I need. 10 lumens for trailwalking and battery saving. 100 lumens for searching.

- Bright coloured case. Easy to spot if you drop it. Also, since most flashlights are black, it's easy to spot yours in the crowd.

- Safety shutoff. Twisting the lens housing an eighth of a turn disconnects the switch. No more dead batteries caused by the exposed rear switch being engaged in your caching bag (a fault with all these types of flashlights, btw).

- Twisting the lens housing while the flashlight is turned ON also toggles the lumen setting.

- Lightly depressing the rear switch turns the light on without engaging the switch. A repeat pressing toggles the lumen setting. Another neat feature.

- Another neat feature I discovered the other night; the light will only work on low when your batteries are dying.

There's a good review of the features of this flashlight at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN9nLqFqGOg.

Available in Canada from http://www.cacheatnight.com/product/flashlights/rogue-2-flashlight/
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

geocash4fun

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 22:16:37 »
currently, I have nothing that's good for night caching. I use AA but it still makes a di light. I like night caches so this post is helpfull

GreyingJay

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2012, 09:15:12 »
Are there any good flashlights where the brightness setting is a separate control from the on/off switch?

I really don't like the repeated clicking to switch from hi-lo-off, and some companies take it way too far (hi-low-flash-amber-laser-etc). You spend more time fumbling around with the flashlight than you do searching for the cache!

My ideal light would have variable brightness in a separate control, and powered by AA batteries, as well as the niceties described in model12's list.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 11:26:19 »
Are there any good flashlights where the brightness setting is a separate control from the on/off switch?

I really don't like the repeated clicking to switch from hi-lo-off, and some companies take it way too far (hi-low-flash-amber-laser-etc). You spend more time fumbling around with the flashlight than you do searching for the cache!

My ideal light would have variable brightness in a separate control, and powered by AA batteries, as well as the niceties described in model12's list.

Well, I don't know for all the extra features, but most mini-maglites still have the feature of adjusting the brightness by turning the ring around the light... and now that they make led models, they are really bright and last a long time.

As I had a large package of D cells lying around and a need for a really bright light for SAR, so I went ahead and bought myself one of those new Maglites, the big one (3D). Certainly not good for being stealthy, and doesn't have the fancy features listed above, but it sure is very bright, has a very long range, and batteries are supposed to last 79 hours.  And it doubles as a hefty self-defense weapon  8)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 11:41:04 »
Take a look here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?345608-List-of-lights-with-infinite-variable-brightness-control-rings

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 12:44:15 »
Lee Valley has introduced four new flashlights in their gifts catalog.  The ultimate has to be item D on the last page of this catalog:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/OnlineCatalog.aspx?id=4ae2a9e8

Not cheap but three levels of brightness and the idea of being able to spot a cache 300m away has its appeal...

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 15:38:25 »
The Lee Valley flashlihghts look very powerful, but IMHO, useless for geocaching. They are much too powerful. In most cases, when searching for a cache, you DO NOT want to light up the entire neighbourhood, nor blind fellow searchers. Also, I do not need a raft of rechargeable batteries to feed these monsters...
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2012, 08:14:45 »
There is something to be said for carrying just one type of battery. Since most GPSr's use AA batteries it's convenient to have several spare sets that can be shared with other devices. Proprietary battery packs are problematic in the field.
Having to carry umpteen different battery sizes for your many devices is inconvenient at best....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2012, 09:22:46 »
At the moment I have a multi-mode light in my cache bag that takes a single CR123 cell.

That requires me to carry spare AA cells for the GPS, spare AAA cells for the headlamp, and spare CR123 cells for the flashlight. 
I am looking for a single cell AA light so I can just get down to carrying spare AA and AAA cells.

I don't even bother taking my 18650 (li-ion rechargeable) powered lights out caching.

graciious

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2012, 21:47:24 »
I have been really impressed with a reasonably priced Duracell LED flashlight (2xAA) available at Sail for around 20 bucks. I will show it to you when we get together.  Mine is about 3 or 4 years old, and needs replacement but it still works sometimes (it's been dropped a few too many times).

GreyingJay

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2012, 22:03:31 »
I was at Lowe's today to check out the sale of the week, which is a Coast / LED Lenser M7R for $74. Rechargeable (18650), seems super bright (which, as model12 stated, could be detrimental for geocaching). It also seems to have a ton of crazy modes, but at least you don't have to click the power button multiple times.

$74 is still more than I'm prepared to pay considering that I have a Coast G25, $15, 2-AAs, very pocketable, and seemed plenty bright for summer camp work, though I have never tried night caching with it.

Although, I do enjoy having the fun toys..  :D

CocaColaCacher

• Sr. Cacher
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 08:17:15 »
This sounds like it would make a good topic for one of the work shops.  As blue says 'winter caching is night caching'.

cacheatnight

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2012, 10:26:25 »
So I saw the model used by Kirok & the comment from "cacheatnight" but what headlamp was CacheAtNight suggesting or did I miss it again?

I appeared to have missed this the last time.   I currently have 5 headlamps in my arsenal.   I started with the 3XAAA energizer.  It's a nice small light but with low output.  It only has one power setting.   It's inexpensive but it uses AAA which is something I wanted to get away from.   I then switched to a dollar store variety headlamp with about 30 LEDs.  It used AA batteries but it was flimsy, finicky, heavy and has only one power setting.   It was this headlamp that set me on a course to find a reasonably priced, quality headlamp that uses AA batteries.   

When it comes to headlamps they come in roughly two categories:  throw and spread.    Any kind of headlamp that has some type spot or focusing lens is designed for throw, or distance.  You want to project a smaller beam of light further in the distance, great for fire tacks.   Headlamps without focus or that use lots of LEDs tend to be designed for spread.  These are good work lights or lights for walking on trails.  If the headlamp produces enough lumen output it will be good for fire tacks as well. 

My headlamp of choice is the http://www.cacheatnight.com/product/flashlights/irix-headlamp/from Icon (owned by SureFire).  It has variable output.  On low it works well for walking on trails etc.  On high the spot carries quite a distance and makes finding fire tacks a cinch.   It uses just one AA with a 3 hour life on high.   Mixing high and low usage will give you an evening of geocaching pleasure.

I have also tried a Zebra Light headlamp.  It has great output, superb quality of beam and uses a single AA.   Even when the Zebra Light is at high power the Irix has a beam that appears brighter because it is focused.   The Zebra Light is also 50% more expensive than the Irix.  I have also tried Energizer's biggest head lamp and it really is big which means heavy.  That unit uses a rear mounted 3XAA battery housing and a front mounted light unit.  It has a couple of power settings and throws the light a good distance.   

After much testing my recommendation on a head lamp is the Irix.   

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2012, 11:13:08 »
This sounds like it would make a good topic for one of the work shops.  As blue says 'winter caching is night caching'.

Please note the change in topic for this month's CCC workshop. http://coord.info/GC41HDW

We're going to talk about Night Caching, so feel free to bring along your caching bag full of night-time caching equipment.

We'll also have examples of night caching gear and supplies on hand.
Steve

- Dr. Seuss