Author Topic: Flashlights etc. Comparison  (Read 18062 times)

kirok

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • "To boldly find what no cacher has logged before!"
    • Binthair Challenge
Re: Flashlights etc. Comparison
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2012, 12:37:55 »
The one BIG problem I have with my, and other similar, flashlights is the Click Switch on the end of the light. Mine is forever hitting something in my caching bag, or pocket, and when I reach for it, all I find is a dead flashlight.

My headlamp has changed (well, is about to) since my last post on this thread a while ago. Model12's problem, which I also shared, has been eliminated by a nice variable dial that goes anywhere between 1 and 100 lumems, and can be operated with gloves on. Bonus that you can get a model that takes AA batteries.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/headlamps/minimus-aa.html

If I have received it for my B-Day as planned, I'll bring it to the workshop, along with my other SureFire flashlights.

GreyingJay

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2012, 12:43:17 »
http://www.surefire.com/illumination/headlamps/minimus-aa.html

If I have received it for my B-Day as planned, I'll bring it to the workshop, along with my other SureFire flashlights.

$200?!?! Holy carp!

cacheatnight

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2012, 13:01:48 »
$200?!?! Holy carp!

I don't know that SureFire makes any lights less than $200 ;-)    Their Icon brand which is consumer focused has several lights with the kind of performance and quality that geocachers need without going military grade.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2012, 11:13:43 »
Another option for those looking for both flash & headlamps is Meritline. The one disadvantage to the headlamp is it's powered off AAA vs AA. 3 modes; uber bright, muted for walking the trail & strobe. I got both the flashlight & headlamp for under $25 (if not less). Takes about 3 weeks for delivery

cacheatnight

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 10:16:57 »
I've seen questions about head lamps in this forum and elsewhere so I created a blog post that might help you choose a head lamp to fit your needs.  You can find the post here:

http://www.cacheatnight.com/how-to-choose-a-head-lamp/3101/

I hope you find the post helpful.

Starkiller

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 12:09:24 »
Since I am the one who started this post, I may as well post my final choice in flashlight.

I was planning to purchase a Rogue 2 flashlight, but couldn't find local stores that carry it, and I wanted to avoid paying shipping. After talking with Tromelin I was very impressed with his light.

I ended up going with the "Filzer I-BEAM X4 LED FLASHLIGHT", 100 Lumens, 2 AA batteries, for $30 at MEC. Batteries seem to last forever, the bright orange push button has NEVER turned the flashlight on on its own...

Only one light setting, but you can focus the tip for focused or dispersed... The only real downside is that it is black, which makes it hard to find if you drop it turned off. It is metal and very durable, but it can get pretty cold to hold in winter. I've had it for about 4 or 5 months now and I am quite pleased with it.

More details: http://www.filzer.com/products.php?id=119

cacheatnight

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 12:28:22 »
I have used reflective tape and reflective rope to make my flashlight more visible.  I use a Ziplit on my GPSr so that I can see it in the dark even when the screen goes dark.  Works great for camera's too.

If you are thinking of buying a Rogue 2 I'm pretty sure we could be talked in to providing free shipping if your total order was over $75 (before taxes and shipping).  You have to buy more than the Rogue 2 but you would get free shipping.   If you want to take advantage of that just email me and I'll let you know how to get the free shipping. 

cacheatnight

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2012, 07:58:02 »
If you are interested in quality headlamp we are bringing in the H51 ZebraLight headlamp.  It is a single AA model with a maximum output of 200 lumen.   For geocaching the the medium setting will give you 8 hrs of usage.  You can also use the 100 lumen setting for 2.4 hours of usage, all from a single AA.  There are three power settings each with a sub-setting. 

We have a special pre-order offer.  If you purchase one of these headlamps today before we place the order the price is $57.   Once we've placed the order the price will go to $64.   The savings is to offset the fact that you'll have to wait a few weeks to receive your headlamp. 

This offer is only advertised here for the members of the CCC.   

http://www.cacheatnight.com/product/flashlights/h51-headlamp-aa-200lm/

Starkiller

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2012, 14:10:43 »
Very interesting. So... $57? What would the final price be for one of us, after tax and shipping?

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2012, 14:40:17 »
Very interesting. So... $57? What would the final price be for one of us, after tax and shipping?

I've been considering it as well, and usually go to the Guelph/Cambridge area for New Years, so may be able to pick up if they are in by then.

cacheatnight

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2012, 15:47:11 »
Shipping is a bit variable, it is most likely to be something around $8.  So all in the price including taxes would be around $73.25.  Without shipping it's $64.41 taxes in.  You'll know the exact numbers if you order online but it should be close to those.

Alternatively you can purchase online, select the BFL pick up and then when they come in we can organize to send multiple units in one shipping which would reduce the per item shipping cost by a couple of dollars or so. 

As long as we get the orders in today we can deal with the shipping once they arrive.

cacheatnight

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2012, 16:02:41 »
I just had a look at our order requirements.   If we can get three headlamps ordered we will ship them as one package to Ottawa at no charge.   We need to get three headlamps ordered from the Ottawa area in order to qualify for the free shipping though.

We are trying to be helpful.

cacheatnight

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2012, 16:06:47 »
I just added a CCC Meet & Greet shipping option.  Please use that if you want to take advantage of the free shipping. 

cacheatnight

« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2012, 21:54:43 »
Thanks Starkiller! 

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2012, 22:06:49 »
OK, two down, one to go...