Author Topic: Flashlights etc. Comparison  (Read 17351 times)

cacheatnight

Re: Flashlights etc. Comparison
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2012, 23:08:44 »
That's awesome Ron, thanks. 

I'm having connectivity issues.  I'll check again in the AM before placing the order.

cacheatnight

« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2012, 11:12:16 »
The order has been placed.  The new price of $64 won't be on the site until later this afternoon.

Thanks to everyone that participated.   

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2012, 22:35:33 »
Just an FYI.

I was going through the Lowes flyer this evening after the workshop and saw that they have the Maglite 2xAA LED flashlight on sale for $10.00.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

GreyingJay

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2013, 22:55:30 »
I ended up going with the "Filzer I-BEAM X4 LED FLASHLIGHT", 100 Lumens, 2 AA batteries, for $30 at MEC. Batteries seem to last forever, the bright orange push button has NEVER turned the flashlight on on its own...

Only one light setting, but you can focus the tip for focused or dispersed... The only real downside is that it is black, which makes it hard to find if you drop it turned off. It is metal and very durable, but it can get pretty cold to hold in winter. I've had it for about 4 or 5 months now and I am quite pleased with it.

More details: http://www.filzer.com/products.php?id=119

Well, after reading this thread, and forgetting about it, and doing my own "independent" research, it looks like I have come full circle.

I purchased a Filzer X-4 on Friday at MEC, $30, just before heading up to a winter camp weekend with a bunch of junior high kids. I am quite impressed with this little light, it is very bright and clear, the spot is well defined and crisp, in full on "spot" it is bright enough to disrupt any children that are bothering you ;)

It is considerably brighter than my previous EDC flashlight which was the Coast G25 I got for $15 at Home Depot. The Coast flashlight is rated at a similar brightness, but it illuminates a wider pattern, but is dimmer over that area.

I also ordered the Coast HL7 headlamp from Home Depot online for $40 delivered, and although I haven't tried it in the field yet, it looks very promising. Infinitely-variable dimmer, just what I wanted, although unlike Kirok's fancy Surefire, it takes AAA batteries and houses them in a battery pack that sits behind your head. But hey, mine's 1/4 the price...

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2013, 21:39:01 »
http://www.lowes.ca/flashlights-headlamps/maglite-led-2-cell-aa-black-aluminum-flashlight_g1190846.html?isku=8784090&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage
For anyone looking for a decent basic flashlight, Lowes has the 2xAA LED Maglite on sale again for $12.00.

I bought one tonight and it has a newer, brighter LED in it than the LED Maglite I keep in the car.