Author Topic: Snowshoes at SAIL  (Read 6934 times)

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Snowshoes at SAIL
« on: December 13, 2011, 10:53:56 »
So this morning, I bought my Christmas present (for myself) at SAIL. They have TUBBS Frontier snowshoes on sale for $89.99. I think they are last year's model, but hey, they are normally $159.99 if I am to believe the tag. I got a pair of 36's, and they had quite a few of those, but I'm not sure what other sizes they had.

They are the exact same as in the picture below (which shows a 25). I think this year's model has a new style of binding.

Pokaroo

Re: Snowshoes at SAIL
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 21:48:39 »
Is like the GPS last year... you can not use them till Christmas? But then again there is not all that much snow on the ground... Yet.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 22:47:58 »
Is like the GPS last year... you can not use them till Christmas? But then again there is not all that much snow on the ground... Yet.

Yah, I felt a bit silly walking out of the store into the rain. I think it will be easier to wait this year than last.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:10:08 »
Thanks for the post Ron, I really show make the effort to visit SAIL more often. These Tubbs like 1000% more efficient that what I wore last year when out with Kirok last winter looking for a Fox Echo cache  :o

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 14:47:54 »
From today until Sunday, there's no HST on (almost) everything in the store, so I picked up a pair for my wife, which are probably too big, but she didn't care. I also got my tax refunded from Tuesday. I love saving $$$!

ottawabirdbrain

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 15:01:15 »
Thanks for the post Ron, I really show make the effort to visit SAIL more often. These Tubbs like 1000% more efficient that what I wore last year when out with Kirok last winter looking for a Fox Echo cache  :o

I dunno Mike.  Those army castoffs were pretty retro.

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 22:11:28 »
The price was too good to resist! I picked up a 30" pair of Tubb's Frontier for $89.99 all inclusive!
There were only a few of the 30" left, but half dozen or so of the 36" for you big fellas.....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 10:50:59 »
Still lots of snowshoes; was there yesterday with youngest member of the family. Line up wasn't too bad either. Happy shopping

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 22:21:17 »
For 2012, the Sail Christmas/Boxing day prices are not as good as last year.

I received the VIP e-mail earlier this week stating up to 50% off on snowshoes. 

Unfortunately the discount is only 20% on the big name snowshoes like Tubbs, Atlas, and MSR.

I was really hoping to get a pair of Tubbs Frontier snowshoes at a good price, but they were only down to $127.99, so I had to pass.

I took a gamble and bought a pair of the Protex (Sail's store brand) Twin Peaks 8500 series snowshoes for $69.99 with carrying bag.
They are made by Yanes and have a 3-year warranty. 

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 06:10:43 »

Unfortunately the discount is only 20% on the big name snowshoes like Tubbs, Atlas, and MSR.

I went to get some 1/2 price ones for my daughters, but I was also very disappointed at their "sale", in fact I was so upset at their misleading e-mail ad that I wrote them one of my own expressing my displeasure at their deceit.

RDLtrekker

• Full Time Cacher
  • Just one more....!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 06:32:58 »
Looks like you are going to need your new snowshoes this weekend... great timing!! ;)
Just one more... :) !

GreyingJay

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:38:37 »
Canadian Tire has some snowshoes on sale for about $60 this week. Obviously not going to be the highest quality but they're probably fine for casual use.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/WinterSports/Snowshoeing/PRD~0823012P/Trail+Explorer+Snowshoe.jsp?locale=en

They look similar to the ones we got from model12's group buy all those years ago.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 21:26:16 »
Looks like you are going to need your new snowshoes this weekend... great timing!! ;)
I've never used a pair of snowshoes before and tried them out for the first time tonight in the back yard.

What a blast.  Can't wait to get out on the trails with them.

portera

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 16:17:46 »

I went to get some 1/2 price ones for my daughters, but I was also very disappointed at their "sale", in fact I was so upset at their misleading e-mail ad that I wrote them one of my own expressing my displeasure at their deceit.

Well, I have to say I am impressed by the way SAIL dealt with my complaint. I received a response to my e-mail the next day, telling me to go to the store and talk to one of the managers. Today, Christmas Eve, was the first time I could make it in, and I found some Tubbs snowshoes for my daughters and they gave them to me for 50% off. They were very polite even though the store was packed and they were all very busy. Very happy!

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 17:10:35 »
Good to hear that they addressed the issue and it worked out for you in the end.