Author Topic: Geomate Jr  (Read 1754 times)

TyggerBob

Geomate Jr
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:05:22 »
My three kids love geocaching with me, but with only my Garmin and my Blackberry, there's always a conflict over who gets to hold what.
As part of his geocaching theme, Santa brought them each a Geomate Jr this year for Christmas (and a couple of Travelbugs each).  I was quite pleased with how well they work.
The proprietary update cable was kind of a pain, but they're easily updated once you have that.  The device holds a ton of caches and was accurate enough for them to find 7 caches yesterday afternoon on our Boxing Day caching jaunt without any difficulty.  For the caches they do, they don't need all the navigation and projection things that my Garmin will do, and it's not like I won't be there with it anyway, if need be.  All in all, Santa made a great choice.  I'd highly recommend it for those of you with younger cachers who want "their own" GPS.
Tyg
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:43:03 by TyggerBob »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Geomate Jr
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 15:13:26 »
Bad news Geomate fans, the company has folded!

See the groundspeak forums at http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=f13be01913e5f0ca7a9ef4c8f11fc16f&showtopic=289136&st=0&p=4956408&#entry4956408 for what's up and how to continue to use your unit without any manufacturer support.

Domage,

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

TyggerBob

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 19:04:14 »
For any other victims of the acquisition of Apisphere, the Geomatr Jr team has a temporary hosting solution that is allowing them to continue supporting the update service for the GM Jrs. They've also released a Windows app to update the units from GPX files either from Geocaching.com or ones you've made using GSAK.
Good thing, as I have three of them :)

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:24:52 »
Good news GeoMate fans! The GeoMate Jr. has been resurrected by a new owner!

http://www.notaboutthenumbers.com/2012/05/05/the-geomate-jr-lives-again/

I'm not sure how useful this unit is, but for those of you who have it already you're not orphaned anymore!

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

TyggerBob

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 13:40:51 »
Yes.. I saw this, but thanks for posting it, Liv..
As for usefulness, I guess it depends on what you need it for.  For my 3 young cachers, it's simple and does the job, giving them direction, distance, difficulty, terrain and size info, and enabling them to log their finds on the unit.  Yeah, they can't do projections, and add waypoints, but I'm always with them with my Map60cx, so we have that covered. And this way, they're not always fighting over my GPSr :)  Also, for getting three at once, the price was right.
Bob

geocash4fun

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 10:00:40 »
I started off with a geomate jr. They are a great start, that year i'd found 47. this I'v found over 100...
geomate is great they are cheap and pretty simple to use, great for a kid