Author Topic: Geocaching site update  (Read 2256 times)

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
Geocaching site update
« on: January 18, 2012, 13:53:24 »
I have notied one very simple yet highly useful change to the site. The new "Recently Viewed Caches" section on the Quickview screen is going to save me quite a bit of time. Even when you are working on your own cache pages, it remembers, and the links are there, so you can go back without having to look the cache up again. Thanks Groundspeak!

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
Re: Geocaching site update
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 14:21:30 »
This wonderful function had been available for waymarking.  No longer do I have to jump back and forth between caching and waymarking to use it.

Starkiller

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 14:55:22 »
Well as far as I can tell, the "beta" map has been deactivated (breaking any links made to that location). Looks like the "search with google maps" links to a mapquest geocaching layer that (at first glance) is slower than the current in the rideau canal (and since it hasn't loaded yet probably just as frozen), not to mention less detailed in the areas I checked out.

We'll see how Groundspeak responds to this (failed?) "improvement".

Starkiller

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 15:05:19 »
To answer myself, I found the reason for the switch. http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=290409&pid=4972132&st=0&#entry4972132

It's still going to take a lot of work for the maps to become as functional as they were yesterday.

inkyfiller

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 18:29:32 »
Hi Folks.  Just had a nice chat with Canuckeh! and he isn't very impressed with the "new" OSM maps on GC.Com.. I'm waiting to see if speed of loading improves and if the annoying - Now I've Found 'em - Now I've not - when I zoom in or out goes away. I actually like OSM maps. I used them in Australia and they were great. Even routeable in the car. I also have an Oregon 450T so it came with Canada Topo. But nothing for the USA. I've used OSM maps for New York and they too are great. So I'll wait and see if the annoyances go away over the next few days. I still think it would have been nice for Groundspeak to explain to us all before the changes, what the issue was. I too wouldn't like having to pay a multi million dollar bill. But I may have paid an extra $5 / year to keep the Google maps.
Feel free to add your thoughts to this thread.  Inky

PA

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 19:00:21 »
Not enough detail on the new maps. No streets out our way

geonerding

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 15:04:43 »
We were busy and not caching much, so just recently caught up with some of these changes.  The detail on the maps outright sucks!! While logged into gc.com I can't even get an aerial to load  :-\ At least with google maps I can do surveillance of an area so that we arrive prepared (where to park, if there seem to be paths, etc). 

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 16:10:08 »
Are people talking about the map screen that pops up when you click on the "Geocaching.com Google Map" on a cache page?

I have no trouble with this map, the display or the accuracy. I have no idea what this complaint is about....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

portera

• Big Time Cacher
  • Yes, I probably should be working...
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 22:14:49 »
Are people talking about the map screen that pops up when you click on the "Geocaching.com Google Map" on a cache page?

I have no trouble with this map, the display or the accuracy. I have no idea what this complaint is about....

Allow me to give you a "fer instance"...  Here is a sample of the maps around my home near South Mountain. Notice anything. Oh yah... there's a freaking river that runs through the middle of the area. None of the maps thought to show it. That seems like a pretty glaring omission to me. You're fine in urban areas, but get out of town, and you'd better have an alternate map source (no pun intended). It's not just the satellite maps not being available. The regular type of maps are pretty poor.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 22:49:36 »
Yes, sad maps for a while I suppose. Click on topo to see land and water features.
Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss