Author Topic: Extracting a cache stuck in ice  (Read 2448 times)

royfran

• Full Time Cacher
Extracting a cache stuck in ice
« on: January 16, 2012, 09:31:05 »
Are there tools / techniques for getting to a cache container that's stuck in ice?  In this particular instance the container was a rectangular lock 'n lock inside a tree hole (not much space around it to work) and I had to abandon trying to get it out because I was afraid it might crack.  I have to say a 1500W hair blower would have been handy but the thought of lugging a gas generator through the woods isn't all that appealing to me...

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Extracting a cache stuck in ice
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:22:47 »
This is a fairly common problem in this climate; the perfect little nook or cranny fills up with water then freezes solid! At times you can actually see the cache encased in ice, just out of reach....

I used to carry an ice-pick and would attempt to chip the container out of the ice, but a couple of times I damaged the container so I recommend against trying to 'rescue' the cache. Take a photo, log a find. Most cacheowners would prefer that you not destroy their cache just to sign the log. Alternatively you can return in the spring.....

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:29:46 »
The photo-log is a great idea.  Such a log also warns subsequent visitors to reconsider damaging the container.

The red-haired witch

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 16:22:12 »
Take a photo, log a find. Most cacheowners would prefer that you not destroy their cache just to sign the log. Alternatively you can return in the spring.....

Exactly.  This is what I do as a cacher and what I want people to do as a cache owner.  Especially if the container is plastic.  I try to use fairly sturdy plastic, but it won't resist an ice pick or a blowtorch.  My ammo cans probably would.

I use the first option when I can see or even touch stuck the container.  The second option if I think it's in that hole full of ice, but can't see or touch it.

SigsPig

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:27:36 »
Yup, the photo proof is the best route. Post your log & offer the CO the option of the proof pic.....now to remember to bring a camera  ::)

geonerding

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 22:25:02 »
I tend to carry a multi-tool in case such caches that are stuck in snow and aren't hard to reach at can be safely freed. In the more stubborn cases where it's in a small hole or covered pictures are what I've grown accustomed to doing.

hidnseek

• Administrator
  • Sr. Cacher
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 23:18:29 »
I once poked with a stick and the stick went right through the container....I did not know it was there til the stick hit and shattered it.  Thus not worth the poke in the winter, if I don't see it I don't poke, if I can wipe snow away and know it is there but stuck, I may use the coffee in my thermos to loosen it til I can sign in (done that a few times), take the photo, or just come back in warmer weather if a spot that I likely will return to.

"I have to go. I'm conducting a seminar in multiple personality disorders, and it takes me forever to fill out the nametags."
— Niles Crane (David Hyde Pierce)

geonerding

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 23:41:37 »
Winter months are always the most creative times for people to experiment in the outdoor climate. I should make a pitch at creating a Geo friendly way to get around this obstacle lol.  8)

F0restGrump

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 07:58:26 »
I carry a propane torch whereever I go....kidding....I have a list I maintain...."To do next Spring".

BluePanther51

• Baby Cacher
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 16:30:43 »
They do have those mini torches for creme brule, and some lighters have a torch option.