Author Topic: Geocoin Race Management  (Read 1730 times)

TyggerBob

Geocoin Race Management
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:12:16 »
A Cubs buddy of mine and I are looking at starting a trackable race.. what he's hoping to do is have some way to create a website for the race that we can plot on a map at least the location of trackable at a minimum, or even their routes between caches.  Also he wants to have a table for each entry showing the number of caches it has been to, and the total distance covered, longest jump, etc..

Has anyone had any experience with this at all?  Maybe there are some macros for GSAK or something that would work for this.
Any sage advice, ideas, or disparaging comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bob
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:35:00 by TyggerBob »

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
Re: Geocoin Race Management
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:27:31 »
My understanding of how this works is that you'll need to create a bit of software that accesses the gc.com site, looks up the trackable items you're interested in, and then copies information from those pages onto your site and compiles/arranges it in a suitable way.

Valpin's Statistic page and Kirok's Binthair Challenge page do that for people rather than TB's.

No doubt you've noticed that both those webpages are 'out of order'? The constant updates and revisions to the gc.com site make it difficult to keep this sort of automated function working. Perhaps you would consider doing this manually? Manual data entry is tedious, but reliable....

Would GSAK do it for you? I have no idea, but there are a number of GSAK gurus on this forum, we'll know soon.

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

TyggerBob

Re: Geocoin Race Management
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:34:44 »
Thanks, Blue.
This might be an opportunity to take a few steps towards GSAK noobness myself :)