Author Topic: I really wish people would read TB mission info  (Read 3061 times)

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
I really wish people would read TB mission info
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:24:38 »
just a rant....

I know we can't control what happens with TBs once they are released, but it would be nice if the info on the mission tags could be followed to some degree.

One of the pair of racing TBs I released last year that was supposed to move in a westerly direction, and had made it as far as Kingston thanks to Mr. Packrat and Bluelamb03, has returned home (5 km from where it was released) after being picked up and brought back to the city  ???

It's counterpart in the race has been in Europe for a few months now...

I guess I really shouldn't complain too much...at least it's moving, unlike another of my TBs that's been held hostage in Ohio since last August.

GreyingJay

Re: I really wish people would read TB mission info
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:26:33 »
Well, from my experience with TBs, you see one in a cache (or at an event) and say "Ooh!" and you take it home. Only later do you log it and realize what it's mission should be.

Say I go on a road trip to Kingston, do some caches, grab a cool-looking TB, and then come back home. I log my caches later only to discover, oops, I just took it the wrong way. Or even log my caches the night I took them, from my hotel room in Kingston, but darn, I'm heading home tomorrow and I just don't have time to find another cache to drop them off.

Best thing to do for TBs with specific missions is to attach a laminated card saying "My mission is ___". You can see that immediately on taking the TB and you know to leave it there if you can't help its mission.

Personally, I've stopped taking TBs altogether, I just discover them now.

BlackRose67

• Big Time Cacher
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:38:44 »
Valid points.

This one did have a mission tag that indicated it wanted to travel west.

Since it's local, I'm going to create a larger mission tag and laminate it, then go over and swap the tags before it gets picked up again.

model12

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Rifling through your cache
    • SteveHanes.com
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:17:33 »
Once you realize that you lose total control of a TB once you release it, and come to terms with the very real possibility that you may never ever see or hear about it again, you will lose the desire to participate in this side game to geocaching. That said, it can be fun to watch a TB's travels until it eventually peters out.

Aldy and I were caching in San Antonio and were told that we HAD to go to one particular cache while we were there. Barney's Toilet Seat Museum. http://coord.info/GCB6A8. His collection of toilet seats is simply astounding, festooned with every imaginable genre of collectible. He had 3 geocaching themed seats when we last visited, so I donated a geocoin to be installed on seat #3. The tracking number is etched on the seat under the coin, and I get discovery notices all the time. My coin is safe and secure, and I'm never down in the dumps worrying about it...

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1524464

Steve

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”
- Dr. Seuss

elyob

• Full Time Cacher
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 12:37:32 »
That TB doesn't have much mileage.   ;D

bluelamb03

• Administrator
  • Big Time Cacher
  • Good hunting everyone!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 13:10:03 »
That TB doesn't have much mileage.   ;D

It's in a real shitty spot....  :D

Blue -
Without shared stories we are strangers.
- Sheila Mendonça

PA

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 14:10:33 »
In Bali Indonesia, we recently picked up a TB that started in California and was on its way to India.  It is now in New Brunswick

We never discover.  But we move tons. Last year we took over 50 to California and brought that many back with us.  We take many long trips by caar and we pick up and drop off as we go.

scotian

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 15:18:05 »
I hear ya. I have a TB that made its goal of going to Iceland then Europe and Africa (over 40K km) then it was supposed to make it back to Petawawa. It made it to Ontario where someone picked it up and promptly took it to Kelowna where it disappeared in a TB hotel. frustrating-so close!

geonerding

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 11:10:23 »
It's unfortunate that people don't read the mission statements on the website in order to find out it's destination first before going ahead and taking. I for one am prone to wanting to trade tb/geocoins whenever I come across them in my travels but have now since started looking up the codes while using my smartphone in order to determine if it's worth grabbing or not. I can understand some people don't have these smartphones or the ability to search up codes on the fly but whenever they get the chance to go home or somewhere with access to such materials it would help in carrying out the tb/geocoins destination. Of the few we have that are out and about right now one is as far away than we originally expected travelling to New Zealand and around the Australian surroundings for the last year or so; as the rest are confined to north america.

Geonerding

F0restGrump

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 12:29:16 »
GreyingJay hit the nail on the head. I do not have the ability nor the compunction to look up a trackable until I log the finds. That is when I get home. Sometimes that means the poor thing moves in the wrong direction. Oh well. That said, if I notice a trackable has a particular destination; I try to accomodate....but not always possible.  :)

FG